Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

ZIPPETY DO DAH

Saturday evening we attended the Zippety Do Dah Parade in Fondren. Fondren is a great older neighborhood in Jackson. It has fabulous shops and restaurants. The parade features the Sweet Potato Queens and all of the wannabe queens from all over the country.The celebration starts several days before the parade with a Big Hat Ball and a Pearls and P.J's party.All of the money raised goes to Mississippi's Blair Batson Childrens Hospital and ARF-the animal rescue league.The float above is the Sweet Potato Queens float.
The ladies in black are security for the queens-notice the whips they are carrying. The men at each corner of the float are the spud studs-look closely at their shirts.

Some of the wannabe queens marching. I wish I could remember the name of this group. They all have names, there were the Blues Queens and the Candy Corn Queens, etc.Kudos to Jill Conner Browne the head Boss Queen for  deciding over twenty years ago to be a Sweet Potato Queen. If you have never read any of Jill's books, you need to run get one-I promise you that you will not stop laughing from the first sentence to the last! One of my favorite books of hers is the Sweet Potato Queen's Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner. There are delicious recipes as well as finacial planning-the main one being the hope that Daddy lives forever.

4 comments:

The JR said...

Ibet this was fun.

Richard Cottrell said...

I need a big ass cook book, I think? Richard from my Old Historic house.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I would love to go to Fondren! I am always seeing things about it when I pull up the Clarion Ledger on line. Looks and sounds like a great place.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Looks like loads of fun. Your header looks absolutely fabulous!