Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

A HOME FROM THE MOVIE THE HELP



I recently shared photos of the library at Cotesworth, today I am going to share the house. This photo is from the brochure I got at the Pilgrimage,it was a very nice publication with lots of information on the different homes. Now some of you may know that Cotesworth is the home of Celia Foote in the movie The Help. Cotesworth was the home of U.S. Senator J.Z.George who served from  1881 until his death in 1897. The fifth generation of his family lives there, it is a working plantation still. The home was built in 1843.In this photo you can see the library to the right of the home.Do you remember this sign hanging at the mailbox when Minnie went to Miss Celia's for the first time?This table that was used in the movie is actually a long rectangular table. The prop people made the heavy tabletop and put it on top. I must say it would have fooled me-it is beautiful.This is the corner desk that Senator George used when he was drafting the Mississippi constitution.Notice the windows that open from the bottom, this house is built so it has never needed air conditioning-and it was HOT outside the day I was there, but wonderfully cool inside the house. Carrollton, Mississippi has over 26 homes,buildings, and churches on The National Register of Historic Places-I do hope you will visit there someday. In the mean time I will be sharing other homes on this tour and a special visit with an extra from The Help-she was cute as a button-stay tuned.

11 comments:

Dorothy said...

I haven't seen the movie yet. Our Church Choir Director was an extra in this movie. I want to ask her where should I look for her before I go to see it.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, either. I read the book and keep meaning to go, but other things get in the way. When I do, I will feel like I've already seen the house. I've been catching up on some of your previous posts. Those gourds were incredible.

Miss Kitty said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing those photos and the history behinds the real house. I liked the movie "The Help" but really my favorite part was seeing homes and wardrobes from that era. I got to be an extra in the Southern movie "Big Fish"...it was so much fun!

Lady Di Tn said...

This is so interesting and look forward to other snipits on this working plantation and book. I gotta get started on the book. Peace

Kelly said...

What a fun and interesting post! Thank's for sharing this!

xinex said...

Thanks for sharing this, Vicky. I read The Help so it is making me really imagine it while I am reading your description. We just arrived from Charleston, SC yesterday , took a tour of the antebellum houses on church St. I was just telling John how different they are from the ones here in Natchez and other parts of MS. Ours have big columns while theres are mostly just cement or brick on the outside and even inside are different. You know how there are a lot of French antique pieces here like Sevres urns, we did not see any there, they were mostly English. It is a very beautiful city and we enjoyed the tour also, just different. Aren't you coming to Natchex for our pilgrimage?...Christine

The JR said...

Haven't seen the movie. What a neat home.

Grace said...

Good job! I enjoyed your post!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh that was fun! I loved that movie, it was great to see behind the scenes.

Carol

Debbiedoos said...

I have heard so much about this movie. I want to go see it now. Great info and pics to share.

Richard Cottrell said...

Great movie and even better tour you have taken us on. I sure was glad to see you had stopped by. Thanks, Richard from my old Historic house.